Mmmmm soo good this is an Allyson Gofton recipe
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp coffee powder ( I used 1 tbls of granulated coffee)
- 1 tblsp hot water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tblsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup self-raising flour (just add baking powder to normal flour if like me you don’t keep both)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (use small chips)
- about 1/4 cup icing sugar for dusting
- Put the brown sugar and butter into a saucepan. Place over a low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter has melted.
- Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and stir into the butter mixture. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla essence into the cooled butter mixture with a hand held beater until light.
- Sift the flours and salt together and stir into the butter mixture alternately with the chocolate chips.
- Turn the mixture into a greased and paper-lined 23cm square cake tin.
- Bake at 180°C for 30-35 minutes (or 25 if you have a hot oven like mine – so you don’t have to scrape the burnt bottom off sigh) or until firm to touch with a little softness in the centre.
- Cool in the tin before turning out and cutting into squares . Dust with icing sugar to serve.